Tuesday, March 27, 2012

With a Cherry on Top, Sweet Little Cupcake

This sweet little design had been on my mind since the customer placed the order, I was very excited to design my first cupcake. Though when it came down to the time to sit there with the yarn in my hands, the actual design was still unknown. The customer had told me her desired colors, that she wanted sprinkles and a cherry accent and that was about it. As I gather the colors and got my set up all ready with my hooks, needles, and scissors, I began to get very excited. One of the big reasons is that the color the customer had desired was a unique color so none of my modern yarns matched and I had to go searching through my vintage yarn stash. This stash was discovered almost a year ago in a nice older ladies attic, she did a little crafting with different yarns but really just loved to buy it. She had so many "banana" boxes full of different retro colors and sold them to me for $10 a box. What. A. Steal! I don't always get to use this yarn because a majority of it can only be used for accents, the quality isn't consistent or soft enough for base hat yarn. There are a few colors though that are perfect for base hats and this Blue/Aqua/Teal was JUST what I was searching for!

The cherry was made with Cotton yarn, it had just the right stiffness that I was look for. I wanted the Cherry to sit like a real cherry would on the top of the hat.



Sprinkles were added with yellow, green and pink. The pink was another from the vintage stash, they just don't make the saturated colors as bright as they used to. 

I just love the way this hat looks worn, it really has a nice amount of stretch and room in the hat. My prediction would be that they could get multiple years out of this style of hat.








These Coffee Cozy's are another great design that I got to do this week. It was my first time using cotton yarn and I found that it was really fun and easy to work with. Cotton yarn is really great if there is going to be heat or lots of washing involved. It is what is traditionally used for making washcloths. This customer is changing all of her cups in her house including coffee cups over to Mason jars and using a lid attachment called Cuppow(?). So she needed a Cozy for their jars for decoration and functionality. She also loves vintage fabrics and embroidery, so I asked her to share her favorite prints and I did my own rendition of the pictures she sent me. I just love how these came together, very sweet and I really enjoyed freehand stitching the designs. There are button closures on the Cozy's so that they can be a custom fit on the jar. I also added into her order a complimentary matching washcloth. It was my first one so I'm excited to see how it cleans and if it survives actual use! :) If it does well I plan on making children character washcloths or washcloth puppets! :) 









Thank you for checking out my blog and my straight from my heart designs. If you'd like to follow me on facebook check me out at https://www.facebook.com/CDbyNicole

With a Hook and a Prayer, Crocheting with Love from Me to You,
Many Blessings,
Nicole


No comments: