Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Easter Egg Blessings

Last year I started this Easter Egg Blessing tradition for our family on Easter Morning. Letting my children know how much of a blessing they are to us is very important to my hubster and I. So coming up with this fun activity for Easter Morning was a perfect fit for our family. A few days before coming up with this idea I came across the history behind passing out Eggs at Easter time. We now pass out eggs full of sugar or made from sugar which is far from the original meaning of the Easter Egg. In the church Easter morning people would bring their eggs that were dyed Red for the blood of Christ and have them blessed then pass them out to their family and friends. The egg is to remind us of the new life that is given to us with Christ's sacrifice on the cross. 
For me I love teaching my children at every opportunity that I can, so I am constantly scouring books, magazines and internet looking for fun trivia about holidays or fun activities. After learning the original start of giving out Eggs it got my gears turning for how I could relate this to my kiddos. Below are some of the images of Easter morning 2011 with my Family and their Blessed Eggs. 


How to Make them:
Eggs
Butter Knife
Soap
Hair Dryer
Paint Pens
Hot Glue
Glitter
Small Pieces of Paper


I took the Egg and used THIS technique to empty it. Then I used a hair dryer to speed up the drying time, I have little patience when it comes to coming up with ideas. After it was dried out I started to use the Paint Pens and did differant designs on each egg, then wrote their names on each egg. I then took a piece of paper and wrote a blessing for each child, my Abagail's read something like this:
Abagail,
You are Blessing number 1 and as we were 8 years ago
we are truly thankful each day that we get to 
see your smile.
Love,
Momma and Daddy




They really enjoyed taking their egg out of the basket and getting to crack it open, they were a little nervous at first thinking that it had the eggy parts still inside.


So excited to see what their blessing would say!


As you can see in this shot of Duncan, after writing the blessing I rolled it up and put it in the hole that was made for emptying the egg. Then I used Hot Glue to close the hole and dipped it into the glitter on both ends to make it look on purpose :)



My kids enjoyed this activity so much that I made more Blessing Eggs for my Mother's of Preschoolers(MOPS) group. It made a great Icebreaker for our group as I put a blessing of how this group has been a blessing to each of us. The ladies really enjoyed cracking them open and reading aloud the beautiful blessings.




As Easter draws nearer I am beginning to think of what I am going to place in their Blessing Eggs and it really makes reflect on how blessed our family is. May this activity be cherished by your family too, as it has been ours.


Many Blessings,
The Pearsall Family




No comments: